What are gallstones?
Gallstones are hardened deposits in the gallbladder that are formed due to the storage of bile cholesterol and bilirubin. Gallstones can vary in shape, it can be as tiny as a granule or as big as a golf ball. If not treated in time, these stones can grow big to an extent that it can block the flow of bile. Further, it can also lead to gallstone attack, which can be really painful.
8 ways to Get relief from Gallstone Pain
If you are suffering from the pain of gallstones, these natural treatment options and home remedies can help you get relief. These methods can also help you prevent the formation of gallstones to a large extent.
- Exercises – Regular physical activities can help reduce the cholesterol level in the body which in turn can prevent the formation of gallstones. Gallstones, although are of tiny shape and size, can cause serious health concerns like inflammation, pain and also infection. According to the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, every person should undergo 150 minutes of physical activities per week to prevent such diseases. If you are suffering from gallstones, you should always consult with your doctor before doing any exercises. Remember not to strain your abdomen while doing any exercise.
2. Change in Diet – Gallbladder is often caused due to high intake of sugar and fats. To avoid gallstones, all you need to do is make a little change in your dietary habits. The following foods can help you stay healthy and keep gallstones at bay:
- Leafy vegetables
- Brown rice
- Olive oil
- Citrus fruits
- Whole grains
3. Apple cider vinegar – Apple cider vinegar is known for its anti-inflammatory properties which can help in treating gallstones or gallbladder pain. If you are suffering from gallbladder pain, you can try this concoction to find relief- 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar with warm water. Sip this in small amounts until the pain disappears.
4. Apply hot compress – Heated compressions can relieve pain. For gallbladder, or any other similar pain, heated compress is of great benefit. If you are suffering from gallbladder pain, boil some water and soak a towel in it. Apply the warm water to the affected region. Repeat it for 10-15 minutes. Using an electric heating pad instead of warm water can also be equally beneficial to treat gallstone pain.
5. Turmeric – Turmeric is every human being’s go-to herb and spice. Turmeric has been trusted since ages for its anti-inflammatory properties. Consumption of turmeric can help the gallbladder produce bile and help the gallbladder become empty. You can boil water and turmeric and have the drink to get relief from pain.
6. Artichoke – Artichoke is considered to be beneficial for the functioning of gallbladder. It is also beneficial for the functioning of the liver. You can have artichoke either by steaming or in grilled form. If you tolerate it, you can also have artichoke in raw form.If these home remedies don’t help much, it is advisable to consult with an expert doctor. Your doctor might diagnose symptoms of the gallstone and check for pain in your abdomen. He might recommend medications or surgery for permanent cure.
7. Medications – Medications shall be recommended to you to dissolve the gallstones. But this is a time taking process and may take months for recovery. Also, medications can not guarantee permanent cure. There are chances of recurrence of the stones.
8. Surgery – Surgery is comparatively much more reliable treatment than medications. Since gallstones have the tendency of frequent recurrence, surgery can be a permanent solution. Once the gallbladder is removed, bile can directly flow to the intestine from the liver. There is no scope of the bile getting stored in the gallbladder anymore.
Currently, many people are relying on the laparoscopic method of surgery. Here, small incisions are made by using instruments to remove the gallbladder. This procedure is painless and guarantees faster recovery compared to other methods.
About Pristyn Care:
Pristyn Care is a multi-speciality healthcare provider which aims to deliver a hassle free surgical experience to all patients by leveraging technology, and a set of advanced operations and powerful processes.